header text

no matter what the road block in life, a great recipe can get you back to the bright side

Saturday 20 December 2014

Harrissa Spiced Lamb Burgers AND Chipotle Beef Tacos

Whoa logging back in after over a year and I had these saved on draft! I'm assuming it's because I had taken some photos to go along with the post but I suspect I might have deleted them by now so here you go anyway! Tasty foods.



DOUBLE HEADER THIS WEEK FOLKS!

Double BOOYUMS!


Over the last few years I have really started to discover lamb and how flexible it can be as a main dish. You can have it in one of it's more traditional way, with the traditional jar of mint sauce on the side.
But I enjoy finding more interesting ways of eating lamb, and I find that lamb mince is one of the more flexible options at the moment.

Here is a really simple recipe for some easy to make and delicious lamb burgers that I've recently discovered!

Ingredients:
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 small red onion, finely chopped
500g lamb mince
1 tbsp of harissa paste
2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
4 burger buns/bread rolls
tzatziki

Method

1) Heat a little olive oil in a small pan, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened and golden then remove from the heat.

2) In a large bowl, mix together the lamb mince, harissa paste, mint and cooked onion. Form into 4 burger patties and chill for 15 minutes.

3) Heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan and griddle pan over a medium heat. Cook the burgers for 5-6 minutes on each side until nicely browned and cooked through. (by the way....these would be amazing on a bbq)

4) Meanwhile, lightly toast the cut side of the bread rolls in a pan. To serve place some rocket on the bottom bread roll, top with the patty, then a nice dollop of tzatziki.

Extra bits - I could also see these being pretty tasty with some grilled halloumi or even some soft blue cheese.


On the flip side, I'll be the first to admit I'm not a huge eater of cow product. I am a fan of a good burger, or a REALLY GOOD steak....but meat loaf....not so much.....roast beef......not to much (although I have eaten some very delicious roasts that have surprised me.....).

My interest in eating some beef is very similar to my interest in eating salmon....limited. But I will eat either if the flavour can be slightly masked. That's why these Chipotle Beef Tacos are something I would definitely make again!

Ingredients:
chipotle paste (2-3 tsp for the steak, 3 tsp for the yogurt)
500g of rump or frying steak
200ml natural yogurt
2 limes
2tbsp chopped coriander
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
8 soft tortillas, warmed
lettuce
tomatoes cubed

1) Slice the steak into thin strips, put it into a bowl and add some of the chipotle paste. Mix a let is marinate for 10 minutes.

2) Meanwhile, place the yogurt in a small bowl, add some chipotle paste (according to your taste and ability to withstand the heat!!), grate in the zest of half a lime and squeeze in the juice. Add in the chopped coriander and stir it all together.

3) Heat a large pan or wok until hot, add some olive oil, tip the sliced onion into the pan and cook for about 2-3 mins - until soft, then add the steak frying for another few minutes.

4) To serve, place the the beef and chipotle yogurt in a wrap, add the lettuce and tomatoes, squeeze of lime juice, fold over and NOM NOM NOM!























No comments: